We have heard it all before–overall health is a LIFESTYLE change.
The success of a complete lifestyle change can be drastically influenced by those around us. Therefore, one’s family can play a drastic role in the successful implementation of life-long healthy-habits and routines.
Below are several ways that your family and friends can work together to ensure you are continuously working toward a better, healthier version of YOU!
NBC News “Today’s Health” recently suggested several tips to become a healthy and happier family unit
- Have a family plan; and STICK with it! – Sit down together as a family and discuss fun and active activities that your family can partake in on a monthly (or weekly) basis. Discuss fun and healthy foods, and try to incorporate these into each meal. It is important to focus on teamwork. Incorporate all ideas and continuously aim to celebrate the success of one another.
- When working toward overall family health, it is important not to focus solely on weight loss. Teach children to focus on how they feel and their energy levels instead of on their weight. This will influence positive behaviors without inducing shame or guilt.
- Allow your children to help in the kitchen – Children are naturally curious. With fast food being an ever-present factor in weight gain among children and kids, it is important to teach your children the important of preparing healthy meals and snacks. Teaching children what each ingredient can do to benefit their body will not only influence YOU to choose healthy foods, but it will allow children to see how the food they eat on a daily basis helps them in growing big and strong!
- Get Moving! – With technology at our fingertips, it is easier than ever to find sedentary activities within the comfort of one’s own home. However, these activities are not always the most beneficial to your child’s health. Getting active can improve brain function and energy levels. Engage your child in a friendly game of basketball, toss, or jump rope after school. Try to set a routine (Ex: every day after school – we can go on a walk around the neighborhood and talk about your day). This will not only get your child out and about but will promote strengthened family relationships as well!
There are just a few simple ways to keep your family active and healthy. Have fun and work with your family to develop a “Fit-Family” plan that works for you!
- B. (2007, October 22). 4 Simple Steps to Make Your Family a Fit Family. Retrieved May 31, 2016, from http://www.today.com/id/21412486/ns/today-today_health/t/simple-steps-make-your-family-fit-family/#.V05C4_krLrc